The Dangers of DIY Roofing Projects
Your home could be one of the largest investments you’ll make. So taking care of your roof is crucial to maintaining its value and preventing damages.
Reacting only when problems arise can result in costly repair work. That’s why regular maintenance is vital in extending the lifespan of your roof and your home.
Doing the roof maintenance work yourself, however, is not advisable. No matter how small the repair job is, getting onto a roof can be very risky, and hauling heavy tools up there can add to the danger.
Safety Concerns in DIY Roofing Projects
Being on a roof has elements of danger that inexperienced people might not be aware of. Attempting a DIY roofing project has the potential of someone seriously harming themselves.
Experienced roofers have skills that allow them to maneuver around with ease.
If you still want to try it yourself, please consider the following before attempting a DIY project for your roof:
- Your ladder needs to be of good quality and it needs to reach high enough for you to get onto the roof easily. Ensure it’s stable before climbing it.
- Take extra care with steep roofs. Make use of a safety harness, roof anchors, straps, and crash barriers to prevent falls. Your equipment should be in good condition and one of the best brands. You don’t want to jeopardize your safety.
- Take special precautions if there are any power lines near your roof, and avoid contact with conductors.
- Ensure that there’s no person, pets, or vehicles on the ground that could be hit by any falling objects.
Even if you take all these safety precautions and wear the necessary safety gear, you still risk injuring yourself or others. Potential accidents include:
Falling – You can have an unforeseen slip-and-fall accident. Even with safety measures in place, you could still get dizzy or suffer a heat stroke, depending on the weather. Also, a weakness on the rooftop can result in you falling through the roof with potentially fatal consequences.
- Equipment and materials – Faulty equipment can result in an unexpected injury. Not knowing how to use specific tools can also be dangerous.
- Insect bites – Being so high up and unprotected could leave you vulnerable to insect bites.
- Electrocution – If your ladder or any other item accidentally knocks a power line, you could be shocked, and that could potentially be fatal.
Improper Roof Repairs
Inexperienced DIY roofers with no knowledge of using the necessary tools can end up with a roof incorrectly installed or poorly repaired. Too often, shoddy repairs occur because people:
- Lack of knowledge or experience
- Use incorrect materials or ones of inferior quality
- Are unable to use the tools correctly or don’t use the correct tools for the job
- Are unable to move around confidently
Improper roof repairs can lead to some unsatisfactory results, including:
- You could cause more damage than there was initially. You might use a method not suited for your roof or step on a weak spot, resulting in more needed repairs.
- Improper repairs lead to you seeking professional help, which adds to your expenses.
- DIY metal roofing repairs not done correctly can result in water pooling on your roof, which could also lead to more problems in the future.
Enlisting the help of experienced and professional roofers is highly recommended. At Dominion Roofing, we can help by getting the job done right the first time, ensuring a longer lifespan for your roof and your home.
Increased Costs in Roofing
Seeing your own roof repairs might seem like a cost-effective method, and that can be true in some cases. However, besides purchasing the needed supplies, you’ll have to sacrifice your time and lots of effort to get the job done.
The following risks can also potentially increase your costs:
- Improper repairs can lead to water leaks into your home, which could result in more expenses.
- What seemed like a small fix could result in a huge repair. It also prolongs the time initially set aside for a “quick fix” and costs you more.
- If you sustain any injuries from your roofing DIY project, you’ll have medical expenses as well, and a potentially long recovery period.
While DIY roofing projects aren’t a bad idea, not all projects around the home should be done by yourself, especially when it comes to your roof. Call roofing professionals at Dominion Roofing at 416.789.0601 today!
Voided Roof Warranty
Another thing to consider is that warranties don’t generally cover DIY projects. They’re limited for a certain period and only when qualified contractors do the repairs.
A roof warranty can be voided when:
- Installing a satellite dish or antennae yourself
- Not using a qualified contractor to do your repair work
- Installation is done incorrectly
- Inadequate roof ventilation
- Using non-system components
Get the Right Services for Your Roof
Most homeowners can tackle specific DIY projects successfully. However, when it comes to your roof, it’s better to leave repairs to the professionals.
Aside from your entire house, your roof is usually the next-most-expensive item on your property. Protecting it is crucial, and you should avoid any damage to it if possible.
At Dominion Roofing, we have the skills to repair or replace your roof for you. Whether it’s fixing a leak or having shingles replaced, we’ve got you covered. Making sure you’re satisfied with our work is our priority.
We offer a good range of residential and commercial roofing services. We do repairs, re-roofing, inspections, new roof constructions, retro-fitting, aluminum and vinyl siding, custom roofing and copper work, slate and metal roofing, and more.
Call us at 416-789-0601 today!
“If roofing is completed incorrectly, it will end up costing you in the long run. If you don’t get your roof repaired in a timely fashion, this can result in further problems. Therefore, it’s a good idea to seek professional assistance in the first place.”
The Dangers of DIY Roofing Projects FAQs
How do I stop my roof from leaking?
First, try to locate the leak. On shingle roofs, you could straighten curled shingles or replace the damaged ones using the correct equipment. Flat roofs are a bit more tricky to fix, but you could apply a patch if the damage is not too significant. For best results, contact Dominion Roofing for assistance.
Can painting my roof void my warranty?
It would depend on the manufacturer. It’s better to allow a professional roofer to attend to all your maintenance.
How do I know when shingles need to be replaced?
When they start curling, cracking, or getting discolored, or where granules are missing.